The owner


Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Second day ...

My second day of my intern was exactly the same as the first day. Everyday  9am, 11am and 2pm I have to follow my funny senior named Tommy to 'tour' around different wards. And I would say Adventist Hosp is just like a maze, without the guidance of Tommy, I think I will be lost in the hosp. 1pm is my lunch time and yet the lunch is FOC! Adventist Hosp is fully vegetarian, no meats are allowed. I entitle for 3 dishes and 1 fruit for my lunch, worth it, huh! Even though I dint get any allowance, I'm happy working with my colleagues (sometime is kinda boring).  

This morning was different from yesterday,  I followed another 2 seniors or supervisors (Mai Kay and Kevin) to do quality control (QC) test in ICU/CCU and also Maternity ward. It just a simple procedures like to place a strip into an automated machine and drop a drop of Perfoma (for QC purpose) at the edge of the strip, and press some buttons and the QC was done ! An easy job ever! Haha...  

After the QC, I returned to Outpatient Department Laboratory (OPD) as usual, and the scene stunned me when I pass by the registration department! Adventist Hosp isn't a government Hosp and yet the patients are more than what I expect. You can try to imagine yourselves were in the crowd of a morning market, the crowd was really scary. To add on, most of the patients are from Madras, India and Jakarta, Indonesia, just wondering is it the medication fee in India and Indonesia is too high or the Hosp in these countries are too 'low standard' ? I wonder..still searching for an answer =)

2 of my friends and I followed Tommy to 'tour' around different wards as we did in our first day, and the things that we need to do are just preparing tubes (Different color of tubes consist of different types of contents and it needs to do different tests), cotton wool, alcohol swap, tourniquet (Flexible band to make the veins more prominent and easier to puncture) and of course needle is the most important equipment (20, 21, 24- numbers indicate the diameter of the needle, the larger the number, the smaller the diameter) [I am not sure about the number, confirm on tomorrow]. All stuffs prepared, the next thing we need to do is to find vein (either cephalic, median or basilic vein), venipucnture is performed by phlebotomist. This venipuncture is depend on patient, vein in patient may be sometime easily to find but its hard for some patients also. Some patients may have swollen (edema) arm, sometime the blood that we drawn may be insufficient. As encountered these problems, we have to report to nurse station or do 'tube sharing'. (Rarely seen these situations happen, but within 2 days, I think have already encountered few cases happened)

Its just my second day, and I already assigned few tasks to do, I have to do report as what I did during my days in UTAR, its a report per odd week, and 2 reports per even week. And I need to do lots of research and studies in order for me to know what I'm doing..

In brief, my life will always be dealing with BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD! Aside from blood, its URINE URINE URINE. If not urine, its STOOL STOOL STOOL. So my future life would be like a B.U.S. Haha.....

Tomorrow I will be having my orientation consecutively for 2 days. I wish it would be fun while not dull. Happy Orientation to ME!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment